Hiking is a great hobby that keeps you fit and healthy. Hitting the trails is good for your body and your mind, and allows you to take in the picturesque scenery.
Having the right hiking boots is essential to enjoying your time on the trails. The wrong shoes can cause discomfort and even injury, putting you out of action until you have recovered.
But some of the best hiking boots often come with very firefly laces! Strapping yourself into the boots takes time and effort, and getting them off at the end of a long hike when you are tired can be frustrating.
Especially if the laces are wet and muddy!
So what is the solution? Hiking boots without laces! There are some excellent choices available on the market right now, but how do you choose which lace-free hiking boots are the right ones for you?
We have put together a list of the best hiking boots without laces, and provided some advice on how to choose the right shoe to meet your needs. Keep reading to find out more.
The Guide Gear Men’s Silvercuff hiking shoe is an excellent choice. The uppers are made from suede and nylon, providing a high-quality and long lasting finish.
The abrasion resistant heel and toe caps make the shoes even more durable. The boots are 100% waterproof, keeping your feet warm and dry even in adverse weather conditions.
The thermoplastic elastomers sole provide plenty of traction to stop you from slipping.
You can choose from the standard brown color, or brown with mossy oak detailing. There is 7 inches of support measuring upwards from the arch of the foot, and the padded tongue and collar provides additional comfort.
The shoes have a zip on the top with a lock to prevent it from coming undone as you walk. The pull loops make it easy to get these shows on and off. These lightweight boots are perfect for all outdoor activities.
- RUGGED HIKING BOOTS – These hiking boots for men offer quality and performance for all outdoor activities. Perfect boots for hiking, trekking, backpacking, they provide support and all-day comfort
- 100% WATERPROOF SHOES – Waterproof hiking boots with a 100% sure-dry construction. They will keep you warm and dry on wet city streets and hiking trails, so you can trek comfortably
- ABRASION RESISTANT HEEL – Rugged TPR outsoles provide top traction to these slip-resistant boots for men. Abrasion-resistant heels and toe caps add durability to these hiking shoes
- ZIP TOP FOR EASY-ON CONVENIENCE – Mid zip hiking boots that are fast and convenient with a YKK zipper top that gets you out of the door in no time. They feature pull-on loops for easy on/off
- SUEDE AND NYLON UPPERS – Find quality craftsmanship and fine detailing in these nylon and suede hiking boots with a padded tongue and collar that add comfort. Height (approx.): 7"
The Timberland Men’s Mt Maddsen slip-on hiking shoes are made from 100% leather sourced from a tannery rated gold or silver for environmental responsibility. They are water resistant with a lug sole, providing excellent grip on hilly trails.
The anti-fatigue footbeds are made of molded foam which absorb shock and return energy to you with every step, keeping you hiking for longer. The footbeds are removable so you don’t have to use them if you have your own insoles.
These boots have a stylish design and come in a lovely dark brown color. There is no need to break them in- they are extremely comfortable straight out of the box! The fabric linings are made from 40% recycled plastic making these shoes environmentally friendly.
These shoes have no zip or lace, you just pull them on and off with the loops on the back of the heel for ultimate convenience. The elastic insets allow for greater flexibility as you move.
- There's lots to love about our Mt. Maddsen leather shoes. They slip on, so you won't waste any time on laces. They feature rugged, clean good looks, grippy outsoles and amazing comfort.
- LOOK NO FURTHER for trail-ready performance and style. Our selection of men’s hiking boots, waterproof hiking boots, casual boots, and casual shoes is designed to fit in with your outdoor-ready ensembles.
- TIMBERLAND HAS YOU COVERED whether you're looking for men's boots, women's boots, or kids boots. For the best in hiking boots, rain boots, work boots, casual shoes & boots & more, choose Timberland.
- WHAT YOU NEED IN THE OUTDOORS: Timberland has the gear you need for all your outdoor adventures, including jackets and coats for outdoor activities, backpacks and luggage & outdoor accessories.
- THE BEST IN OUTDOORS: Trust Timberland's line of high-quality men's, women's, and kids boots. hiking boots, outdoor gear, and activewear for all your activities from the trail to the sea to the streets.
The Merrell Men’s Jungle Moc slip-on show comes in an impressive choice of 27 colors, including various shades of gray, brown and black, sable, oak and beige. They are made from 100% synthetic leather with 3mm deep rubber soles.
These waterproof shoes have elastic insets which allow them to flex with your foot as you walk. The padded collar and molded nylon arch provide additional comfort and the pull on loop makes them super easy to get on and off.
Whilst these shoes are not suitable for particularly challenging terrain or very muddy trails, they are stylish enough to wear with casual clothes and perfect for shorter, more gentle hikes.
They are ideal for wearing around the campsite or city walking where you might be popping in and out bars.
- Comfort features like pigskin lining and an Ortholite footbed make this slip-on the perfect everyday companion
- Compression molded EVA footframe provides cushioning
- Merrell air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability and breathable mesh lining
Adidas Outdoor Men’s Terrex Swift hiking shoes are made of synthetic materials with mesh layers for excellent breathability. The Traxion rubber soles have fantastic traction to prevent you from slipping on your hike.
The GORE-TEX membrane provides waterproof protection whilst still allowing airflow. The cushioned footbed provides extra support and they have good ankle mobility for walking on uneven terrain.
These shoes come in a choice of black, gray or cargo green. They are secured with elasticated bungee rather than lace which means they can be quickly and easily adjusted throughout your hike.
The heel pull loop makes it easy to get these shoes on and off.
These lightweight shoes are made extra durable but the molded toe caps, which provide additional protection while you are out on the trails.
- Men's waterproof shoes made for day hikes and general outdoor use
- BREATHABLE AND DURABLE: Ripstop mesh upper with TPU overlays and toe cap for durability
- SNUG FEEL: Bungee laces for speed lacing
- WEATHERIZED: GORE-TEX lining is waterproof and breathable
- RUGGED GRIP: Traxion and Continental Rubber outsole for excellent grip; Officially licensed Continental product
The KEEN Men’s Brixen waterproof insulated shoes are made from 100% leather with a rubber sole. They slip on and off easily and have shellback heel support to absorb shock as you walk.
These shoes are designed for being out in the most adverse weather conditions. They are waterproof, with 200g of KEEN thermal insulation. The wool felt lining and thermal heat shield footbed help to keep your feet warm and comfortable in the coldest temperatures.
They have a dual climate outsole that hardens in cold weather to provide excellent traction on ice and compacted snow.
These shows are available in black, brown and gray and the design is sporty. The built in toe protection will help to prevent injury in the case of a rockfall.
The extra cushioning in the shoe stabilizes your foot and reduces fatigue, keeping you hiking for longer. These shoes are perfect for challenging trails and snowy summits.
- Waterproof slip-on featuring 200g KEEN.Warm insulation, wool felt lining, and thermal heat shield footbed
- Shellback heel support
As you can see, there are plenty of excellent options for hiking boots without laces. But now that we have shown you the best products on the market, how do you go about choosing which one is best for you?
The first thing to think about is what kind of hiking you are doing. If you are planning to head for more gentle trails then you can wear a lightweight shoe, perhaps one which is also suitable for city walking.
These shoes tend to be more stylish and go well with casual clothes as well as outdoor gear, which is perfect if you are planning to go to a restaurant or bar after your hike.
If you are hitting the more challenging trails then you need a more durable shoe with extra support.
These shoes are bulkier and not as fashionable, but will keep you comfortable and help to prevent injury. Whilst they are not usually as stylish, you can still find a shoe that will meet your needs and look good.
The next thing you need to think about is the weather conditions of your hike. If you are going to be walking in warmer climates then you need a more lightweight shoe without insulation.
It would be beneficial to have a breathable shoe with good airflow. If you tend to hike in harsher weather conditions then you need to make sure you choose a waterproof shoe for wet conditions.
It might be a good idea to consider a shoe that is suitable for walking on ice and snow if you plan on climbing big summits. Shoes with thermal insulation are useful for hiking in very cold weather- cold, numb toes can be very uncomfortable!
Another thing to consider is how the shoes are fastened. We have established that you don’t want laces, but there are other options for securing your shoes.
Some lace-free hiking boots have a top zip or a side zip. These are easy to use, but bear in mind that zips can rust if you don’t wipe them down after a wet walk. If you are walking in very cold and snowy conditions then the zip could even freeze shut!
Another option is adjustable elastic fastening, which can be tightened or loosened at any point during your hike.
This is a good solution if you don’t want to fiddle with doing up and undoing laces, but you want your feet to feel very secure within the shoe. And finally, you have slip on shoes, with no fastening.
They are designed to fit snugly, and are pulled on and off with heel loops for ultimate convenience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Leather Better Than Synthetic Materials?
Leather is very durable and naturally water resistant, but it is not as breathable as some synthetic materials.
It can also be harder to care for. If you buy good quality leather and look after it well, your shoes will last a long time. It depends on which features of your show are most important.
Why Are Laces Important?
Laces help to adjust the fit of the shoe to make it ideal for your individual foot.
A well-fitting shoe is more comfortable and helps to prevent rubbing or injury caused by lack of ankle stability. However, boots without laces can be just as food if you find one that fits you nicely.