It’s no secret that the great outdoors does wonders for our mental and physical health.
You’ve got the wind in your hair, a camera ready to capture some beautiful memories, and the textured ground beneath your feet to remind you to be present.
Problem is – your feet are killing you because you don’t have the right kind of footwear.
For women with wide feet, buying any type of shoe is a nightmare.
Hiking boots seem to be mostly designed for people with slim feet, meaning those poor souls (soles? Sorry) with wide feet have to suffer with an uncomfortable, foot-cramping experience.
If this sounds like something you struggle with, we’ve got you covered. That’s right – you can get women’s hiking boots for wide feet. They exist.
We want to help you to enjoy your hiking trips, and it all starts with finding the most comfortable, breathable, and durable footwear.
Here are the five best women’s hiking boots for wide feet, complete with a handy buyer’s guide and FAQ section!
Our top pick: Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
These Merrell boots feature everything you could ever want and need in a pair of hiking boots – they’re comfortable, breathable, high-quality, and protective for every part of your feet.
Made of suede leather and mesh, not only are these shoes durable and mostly waterproof, but the mesh allows for handy ventilation during warm hikes.
With a removable rubber insole, women with wide feet can adjust the shoes to their liking.
The toe box itself is wide enough to comfortably encompass every toe – gone are the days of developing blisters on your little toe – plus the rubber cap protects your feet from harsh terrains.
The rubber outsole of the shoe is fitted with 5 mm long lugs that are designed to grip terrain. This is ideal for promoting balance and stability against uneven terrain.
Plus, this means that the shoes are great for any weather conditions, as the lugs will grip against snow and wet grounds.
The best part? These shoes are equipped with an air cushion in the heel and a nylon arch to promote stability and absorb shock.
This is also great for women with flat feet, as the nylon arch will help to rotate your feet into a more comfortable position.
- Made of high-quality materials – 100% suede and mesh material is both durable and breathable
- Comfortable – Removable insole, heel air cushion, and nylon arch help to support wide feet
- Waterproof – Materials help moisture escape to leave feet nice and dry
- Break-in time – Sole feels rigid at first and needs substantial time to break in
- Waterproof membrane seals out water and lets moisture escape
- Pigskin leather and mesh upper
- Metal hook traditional lace closure
- Bellows tongue keeps out debris
- Protective toe cap
Best Hiking Boots for Beginners: Columbia Women’s Crestwood Mid Waterproof
For beginner hikers, the idea of finding the right type of hiking boot can seem daunting. Sure, it’s just a shoe to some people, but there’s a bunch of factors to consider.
Are the boots waterproof? Are they comfortable? Will they make me broke for the next couple of weeks?
If you’re a beginner hiker looking for a bog-standard, good-quality pair of hiking boots, look no further.
These Columbia boots are the standard for hikers of all skill levels, making them the ideal purchase for beginner hikers.
These Columbia boots are made of leather and suede with a breathable mesh, making them mostly waterproof and highly durable.
Comfort is imperative in a pair of hiking boots, so this product is aptly equipped with a durable cushioned midsole for shock absorption.
Plus, the lace-up closure allows for a secure and adjustable fit – ideal for those with wide feet!
These hiking boots are suitable for hiking in a variety of terrains and weather conditions thanks to the multi-terrain traction system on the outsole.
Not only is this great for rocky terrains, but the dual-zone winter tread pattern helps to provide stability on ice and snow surfaces.
- Durable and breathable – Made of good-quality, moveable yet secure materials
- Comfortable – Cushioned arch helps to stabilize feet and lace-up system is good for adjustability
- Secure outsole – Multi-terrain traction allows for balance and stability on all surfaces
- Sizing – Reviews recommend sizing up
- OMNI-TECH: Our proprietary technology provides air-permeable protection that's waterproof and breathable, keeping mother nature's elements out, at the same time allowing the inside to breathe, keeping your feet dry and comfortable no matter the conditions
- ANY TERRAIN / ANY WEATHER: A lightweight and durable waterproof shoe designed for multiple activities on the trail
- LEATHER AND MESH UPPER: This nimble lace-up integrates a combination upper, featuring leather, mesh and webbing — for a durable lasting boot you'll appreciate season after season
- ALL-DAY SUPPORT: Incorporates our TechLite lightweight midsole that provides lasting comfort, superior cushioning, and high energy return
- ALL TERRAIN READY: Our signature Omni-Grip outsole is an indoor safe, non-marking rubber, that's sure-footed with maximum grip over a variety of terrain
Best Leather Hiking Boots: Timberland Women’s Mt Maddsen Hiking Boot
Sometimes, leather is the preferred material for a lot of hikers. Proper leather can be hard to come by, especially as it can often be so heavy on the feet.
These boots, however, are surprisingly lightweight and – most importantly – brilliantly waterproof.
Waterproof hiking boots can also be hard to come by, which means that these make our list for their waterproof abilities, leaving your feet warm and dry inside.
Timberland is one of the leading brands of hiking boots in the world, and for good reason. These Mt Maddsen hiking boots have it all – a variety of sizes, high-quality materials, a solid outsole, and extreme comfort.
They’re also very safe and secure for hiking purposes, as the hard toe cap works to stabilize the toes against harsh terrains to prevent broken bones.
These hiking boots are equipped with anti-fatigue comfort technology inside the whole shoe, allowing for a cramp-free and comfortable hiking experience.
This is due to the compression-molded EVA midsole that allows for a shock-absorbing fit that adjusts to each foot once the shoes have been broken in.
The lugs on the outsole are made of 34% recycled rubber, making this one of the more eco-friendly products on our list. These lugs are fitted with multi-terrain traction to provide grip and balance on a variety of surfaces.
- Waterproof – Leather material is completely waterproof
- Durable – Premium quality materials makes these boots long-lasting
- Comfortable – Compression-molded midsole and anti-fatigue technology makes these shoes very comfortable
- Not for summer – Warm leather is ideal for winter and fall hiking, but might be too warm in summer
- Guys have loved our Mt. Maddsen hikers for years; now it's your turn. Designed specially for women's feet, these waterproof hiking boots dominate the trails in style with sleek styling and anti-fatigue comfort technology.
- LOOK NO FURTHER for trail-ready performance and style. Our selection of men’s hiking boots, waterproof hiking boots, casual boots, and casual shoes is designed to fit in with your outdoor-ready ensembles.
- TIMBERLAND HAS YOU COVERED whether you're looking for men's boots, women's boots, or kids boots. For the best in hiking boots, rain boots, work boots, casual shoes & boots & more, choose Timberland.
- WHAT YOU NEED IN THE OUTDOORS: Timberland has the gear you need for all your outdoor adventures, including jackets and coats for outdoor activities, backpacks and luggage & outdoor accessories.
- Covered by the Timberland Limited Warranty. For complete terms, limitations, and instructions on how to make a warranty claim, please visit the Timberland website.
Best Hiking Boots for Winter: XPETI Women’s Thermator Mid High-Top Hiking Boots
Winter is one of the most beautiful times to go hiking – but it comes with a multitude of added dangers. Ice, especially black ice, can be the cause of broken limbs and other injuries.
Snow, likewise, has the ability to be slippery and can lead to hypothermia or frostbite if the hiker isn’t wearing the right type of clothing and equipment.
Finding the right type of boots specifically for hiking in winter is, therefore, imperative.
These XPETI hiking boots are designed specifically for hiking in winter.
With a tall molded TPU ankle support, not only is the ankle kept warm by the shoe, but the ankle is also given additional support that will prevent it from rolling over on ice or snow.
These boots are made of fabric and synthetics with a rubber sole. While it doesn’t feature mesh for breathability, this won’t make a difference in winter hiking, as the priority is to keep feet warm.
Speaking of keeping feet warm, these boots are made of 200 grams of Thinsulate Insulation, which works to keep your feet dry and toasty in cold temperatures.
The waterproof membrane on the upper also helps to prevent snow and ice from soaking your feet.
- Waterproof – No mesh allows for 100% waterproof boots against snow and ice
- Ankle support – Additional ankle support is good for stability and warmth
- Insulating midsole material – Designed to keep feet warm throughout the whole hike
- Not good for summer – Lack of breathability won’t keep feet cool in summer
- Waterproof & Protection: Women hiking boots features Hydroshield Membrane waterproof mesh upper that keeps your feet cool and dry.
- 200 Grams Thinsulate Insulation for -13°F. Integrated inserted EVA Midsole, Light weight and Sturdy enough even when carrying weight
- Advanced Technology: Integrated inserted EVA midsole.Flexible MD midsole reduces foot fatigue and absorbs shock. IT MAY BE A BIT SMALL THAN NORMAL SIZE, RECOMMEND ORDERING A FULL SIZE UP FROM YOUR NORMAL SIZE.
- Durable Hiking Boot: This women's boot is Molded TPU heel stabilizer. for long-lasting comfort with superior cushioning and high energy return.
- Trail Grip: Super aggressive X-grip rubber outsole with 7mm multi-directional lugs provides higher-traction grip. Flexible response to various outdoor terrain. Suitable for outdoor & indoor: Designed for both daily life and outdoor sports like hiking,working, hunting,and so on.
Best Hiking Boots for Comfortability: Oboz Sawtooth II Low B-Dry Hiking Shoe
Sometimes, the idea of buying a new pair of biking boots online can seem like a risky task.
How long will it take for me to break them in? What if they’re not comfortable for my feet?
These are the questions that Oboz have tackled with these boots – because they are comfortable basically from the moment you take them out of the box.
Oboz is known for their comfortable insoles. The insoles on these boots are designed for women with wide feet and take minimal time to adjust to the shape of individual feet, allowing for a stable and secure insole.
The upper, likewise, is fitted with an asymmetrical collar that helps to fit comfortably around the ankle without causing blisters.
Made of a dual-density EVA midsole and a nylon shank arch, these shoes are all about providing support for feet. This is especially good for those with feet problems or flat feet.
These shoes also feature a waterproofing system with the mesh outer layer, which is ideal for hiking in summer to allow sweat and warmth to escape.
The rest of the boot is made of abrasion-resistant material and nubuck leather for durability.
- Very comfortable – Comfy straight out of the box as the insoles mold to feet quickly
- Breathable – Mesh outer layer is ideal for hiking in summer
- Attractive – Suitable for wearing while hiking and during other activities
- No ankle support – Ankle upper is not included like with other products on our list
Finding the right pair of hiking boots is essential for women with wide feet.
These hiking boots are designed to prevent wide feet from feeling cramped and uncomfortable in narrow shoes, which can lead to a very painful hiking experience.
Not only this, but hiking shoes that are designed for wide feet help to prevent feet from rolling over, leading to twisted ankles and other injuries.
What to look for in a pair of hiking boots
Buying a pair of hiking boots online can seem very risky. If the returns policy isn’t good, then you could be stuck with a pair of very uncomfortable shoes. Here are the key factors to look for in a pair of hiking boots!
The material of the hiking boots will determine how waterproof and how durable the boots are.
Leather is a great material for providing protection against water, but these boots can be heavy and uncomfortable in the warm months as they provide no breathability.
Boots that feature a mesh outer layer are great for summer hiking as they help moisture escape, which works to prevent heat-induced blisters. However, they aren’t as waterproof against snow and ice in winter.
The material of the boots will all depend on when you intend to go hiking the most during the year. If you like hiking in winter, opt for leather. If you prefer hiking in summer, go for something more lightweight and breathable.
Also read – Most common winter hiking mistakes
Women with wide feet will often experience the “rolling” sensation if their shoes are too narrow.
Hiking boots that are designed for women with wide feet cater towards this by including a cushioned arch, which works to elevate the natural arch of the foot for support and stability.
This is a key feature to look out for – especially if you have flat feet.
Also read – Best hiking boots for flat feet
Hiking can be the main culprit for ankle injuries. Trails will have uneven grounds, consisting of rocks and pebbles and holes and streams, which can all contribute to twisted or sprained ankles.
For experienced hikers who like to hike in difficult terrains, it’s essential that your boots provide the right kind of ankle support.
Not all hiking boots will offer ankle support at the top of the shoe. This doesn’t mean that the boots are bad, it just means that they are better suited for flat and safe surfaces.
Of course, the way the boots fit your feet is the most important factor when looking for a pair of hiking boots. If they fit well, then great! If they take forever to break in and still feel very uncomfortable, then they’re not worth it.
The general rule of thumb when buying a pair of hiking boots is to choose one size larger. This is because most hiking boots deliberately size slightly smaller than normal feet sizes to allow for stability.
Going up one size will also allow more room for comfortable socks, which can be just as important as the boots.
Look out for hiking boots with a wide toe box. Some hiking boots come with a narrow toe box that can be very restricting for the toes, resulting in cramps, discomfort, and blisters.
A wide toe box will prevent injury, improve the way you walk, and will encourage balance and stability.
Refunds and returns
In the event of an ill-fitting pair of shoes, make sure to look out for the company’s returns policy. Each hiking boots will come with a different returns and refunds policy.
There are several styles of hiking boots that are best suited for specific hiking activities. High-cut style boots, for example, are the best for providing ankle support, which is most ideal for rough terrains.
Mid-cut boots are great for backpacking as they are lightweight. Low-cut boots are the most lightweight and flexible, but they are best suited for flat surfaces due to the lack of ankle support.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a wide toe box?
Wide toe boxes are essential for shoes used for active purposes – such as hiking boots, running shoes, and more.
Ever worn a pair of shoes that restrict your toes from moving? It feels really uncomfortable – not just in your feet, but the discomfort travels up to your lower legs.
This is because the lack of room for your toes affects the way we walk, resulting in aches and pains.
Hiking boots and running shoes need to offer a wide toe box for many reasons. Most importantly, wide toe boxes allow our toes to move freely and splay naturally against the insole.
Not only does this provide extra balance and stability, but it helps our toes to bend and move in ways that help for maneuverability.
Wide toe boxes work to prevent injuries in the feet, ankles, and legs as they help our toes to splay naturally, meaning we won’t have to walk or run differently. Plus, if you have wide feet, a wide toe box is essential.
Are wide shoes better for hiking?
The general rule of thumb when buying a pair of hiking boots is to choose a size larger than the actual size of your feet.
This is to allow enough room for the user to wear comfortable socks, which can be just as important as the boots themselves.
This also prevents feet from feeling restricted and tightened, which can lead to discomfort, pains, and injuries.
Wide shoes for hiking also help to provide better balance and stability on uneven terrain.
Running shoes deliberately have a narrow fit for streamline purposes, while hiking boots need a larger surface area to help the hiker balance on uneven terrain like rocks and pebbles.
Are Merrell boots good for wide feet?
Merrell is one of the best brands of hiking boots – especially for those with wide feet! As with most hiking boots, Merrell deliberately size down their shoes so customers choose a size larger than normal.
This is to allow room for comfortable socks and to prevent feet and toes from feeling tightly cramped in the shoes, which helps to improve balance and stability.