One of the most important pieces of equipment that you need if you’re hoping to enjoy a leisurely hike is a hiking chair.
A good hiking chair will be easy to carry, compact, lightweight, comfortable, supportive, and super practical.
Check out the best hiking chairs below. Each one has been selected according to its comfortability, portability, durability, and price. We’ve also included a handy buyers’ guide and FAQ section. Take a look!
- Best Lightweight Hiking Chair | Helinox Chair Zero
- Best Recliner Hiking Chair | GCI Outdoor Wilderness Recliner Chair
- Best Hiking Chair For Comfort | Yeti Trailhead Chair
- Best Budget-Friendly Hiking Chair | ALPS Mountaineering Tri-Leg Stool
- Best Hiking Chair For Long Hikes | Crazy Creek HEX 2 Original Chair
- Buyers’ Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
We just had to kick this list off with the wonderful Helinox Chair Zero. If you’re in need of an ultralight, super-compact backpacking chair that also provides superior comfort, you need to check this one out.
This chair weighs just 1.2 pounds and packs smaller than a bottle of water. As such, it is ideal for those of you who have minimal space in your backpacks.
The folding chair frame has been constructed from advanced DAC aluminum alloy, so it is also very strong.
In fact, the seat, which is made from durable and lightweight ripstop polyester, can hold up to 265 pounds. This material also ensures that the chair can resist harsh weather conditions and UV rays. It is also machine washable, so it is very easy to maintain.
Thanks to the high-quality single bungee cord mechanism, this chair is particularly fast to set up. As such, it’s the perfect chair to use when you’re on the go! It is ideal for all kinds of outdoor activities, including camping, backpacking, hiking, and biking.
We love the quality and the practicality of this chair. Whoever said that lightweight chairs couldn’t be comfortable was seriously mistaken. As a bonus, the manufacturer also provides a five-year warranty, so this is a very safe purchase.
- Lightweight – easy to carry around.
- Very Compact – doesn’t take up much room in a backpack.
- Advanced DAC Aluminum Alloy Construction – very strong and durable.
- Durable & Lightweight Ripstop Polyester Seat – resists harsh weather conditions.
- 5-Year Warranty – makes this a safe purchase.
- Price – more expensive than others on this list.
- Ultralight, compact camping and backpacking chair weighs just 1.2 pounds and packs smaller than a bottle of water (measures 4 x 4 x 13.5 inches packed)
- Lightweight, folding chair frame is constructed from advanced DAC aluminum alloy to provide maximum strength at a minimum weight; holds up to 265 pounds
- Seat and carry sack are constructed from durable, lightweight ripstop polyester that resists harsh weather and UV rays; material is machine washable
- Setup is fast with a single internal bungee cord that assembles poles; assembled chair measures 20.5W x 19D x 25H inches, seat height is 8.5 inches
- Ideal for outdoor activities like camping, backpacking, hiking and biking where weight is critical; manufacturer's five-year warranty
If you’re looking for a chair that will provide you with maximum comfort as you take in the natural beauty around you, look no further than the GCI Outdoor Wilderness Recliner Chair. This chair provides ample comfort and it is great value for money.
This is a foldable hiking chair equipped with backpack carry straps. As such, even though it is larger than others on this list, it is still fairly easy to carry with you as you explore as you can simply attach it to your backpack.
It also comes with a 4-position reclining backrest and two wooden armrests. In turn, these features ensure that you experience maximum support and comfort as you rest. In fact, it comes equipped with a built-in beverage holder, so you can truly relax!
The GCI Outdoor Wilderness Recliner Chair has a top-quality construction. It has been made using sturdy, powder-coated aluminum and steel. The chair itself also has ventilated seating and mesh paneling, which ensures that you remain cool and comfortable.
For relaxed hikes, we don’t think you can do much better than this chair. Whilst it isn’t appropriate for serious hikes because it will be too heavy, it is perfect for people who like to stroll and explore the outdoors. It is also great for camping.
- Recliner – ideal for comfort.
- Carry Straps – can carry it hands-free.
- Beverage Holder – practical and great for relaxing.
- Ventilated Seating & Mesh Paneling – keeps you cool.
- Weight & Size – will be too large for long hikes.
- Folding camping chair with backpack carry straps, 4-position reclining backrest, and wooden armrests provides portable outdoor seating
- Outdoor Camping Chair: Designed for comfortable outdoor seating, this portable folding chair features backpack carry straps, a 4-position reclining backrest, and wooden armrests
- Built-in beverage holder keeps drinks nearby, head pillow adds comfort, and mesh paneling promotes airflow for ventilated seating that stays cool
- Quality Construction: Constructed from sturdy powder-coated aluminum and steel, this foldable chair boasts a built-in beverage holder, a comfortable head pillow, and ventilated seating complete with mesh paneling
- Backpack straps for hands-free carrying; large buckled storage pocket holds essentials for camp, concerts, festivals, and sporting events
If you’re looking for a top-quality hiking chair that will provide you with first-class levels of comfort, then you need to check out the Yeti Trailhead Chair. It is more expensive than the others on this list, but we think that it is definitely worth the price!
This chair has a pack-away frame that is lightweight and super easy to pack and go. The carry bag included has very strong straps that you can wear as a backpack or shoulder bag. As such, it is very easy to carry.
However, the stand-out feature of this chair is the comfort. It is made using flex grid fabric that conforms to your natural curvature, eliminates pressure points, and can support up to 500lbs of weight.
The comfort provided by this chair will restore the faith of any camping chair skeptics. However, it is more expensive than the others on this list. Additionally, it is far better suited to camping and to very short hikes, due to its size.
- This fireside, tailgating, concert-going, best-in-class folding chair is designed down to a science for unrivaled durability, hardcore comfort, and hands-free portability
- CARRY BAG INCLUDED - A strong two-strap carry bag you can sling over your shoulder or wear as a backpack
- FLEXGRID FABRIC - Conforms to your natural curvature, eliminates pressure points, and supports up to 500 lbs. of weight
- PACKAWAY FRAME - The lightweight geometry of this crossover frame makes it easy to pack and go
- V UV-RATED - This camp chair won't break down under UV rays. No chipping paint or disintegrating fabric to strength, stretch, and comfort worry about
If you’re a traditional hiker looking for a quick, easy, and lightweight mechanism to take the edge off on a long hike, then you can’t go wrong with the ALPS Mountaineering Tri-Leg Stool. As a bonus, is it super affordable!
Stools have been used by serious hikers for decades, and this one, in particular, is very practical. It conveniently folds into a very compact design, which is ideal for when space is limited (which is all the time when you’re hiking!).
It also boasts a powder-coated steel frame and a seat made from 600D polyester fabric. In turn, this stool provides strength, stability, and durability. Don’t let the low price fool you – this stool has been made to last!
Hikers tend to either love or hate stools – and we love this one! It is super lightweight, easy to carry, and very durable. However, it won’t provide the same levels of comfort and support as the others on this list.
- Lightweight & Compact Design – very easy to carry.
- Price – very affordable.
- Durable – this stool was made to last.
- Stool – not very supportive.
- Powder-coated steel frame and 600D Polyester fabric provides strength and stability for a long lasting use
- Conveniently folds into a compact design, perfect when space is limited but comfort is a must
- Carry strap attached to the Tri-Leg in case you don’t want to bring along the included shoulder bag
- The Tri-Leg Stool is great when you need something light and portable but don’t want to give up comfort
- Dimensions: 14" W x 14" L x 16" H, Weight: 2 lbs., Weight Capacity: 250 lbs., Color: Rust
Finally, it would be a crime to write a list of the best hiking chairs without including the innovative Crazy Creek HEX 2 Original Chair. If you’re planning some serious, long hikes, this chair is perfect for you.
This chair rolls up into a super compact and packable shape. In fact, when rolled, it is just 4” wide! It also has a handy strap attached, and a built-in hanging loop to make clipping to a pack very easy.
Whilst this chair doesn’t provide the comfort you would get from a traditional style chair, it is still surprisingly supportive. It is padded with 8mm high-density cored EVA closed-cell foam that provides great comfort and insulation.
This chair was made for hiking in mind. Thanks to the inner surface of water resistant, breathable 70D coated ripstop nylon, this chair can withstand most environments. Regardless of whether you use it on dirt, sand, or wet surfaces, it will hold up well!
Admittedly, this style of chair won’t be for everyone. But, we think it is ideal for serious hikers. It is incredibly durable, compact, lightweight, and it is surprisingly comfortable. This innovative design is truly a game-changer!
- Compact & Packable – very easy to carry.
- Built-In Hanging Loop – can easily clip it to a backpack.
- Padded – provides good insulation and comfort.
- Support – isn’t as supportive as others on this list.
- OUR MOST VERSATILE CHAIR: The HEX 2.0 is our lightest and most packable chair yet, ideal whenever space and weight are a factor. Great for backpacking, and can also be used as pad or mat. Perfect for the beach, concerts, camping, boating, and more
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Improved 8mm high-density cored EVA closed-cell foam provides maximum insulation and comfort without added bulk, weighing in at only 21.9 ounces
- COMPACT & PACKABLE: The chairs roll-up compactly to only 4″ diameter, with a handy attached strap, for ultra-easy carrying. A built-in hanging loop makes clipping to a pack easy
- ULTRA COMFORTABLE: 8mm high-density cored EVA closed-cell foam provides more insulation and comfort, while the Outer shell of durable 210D coated ripstop nylon protects from wet ground. Adjustable side straps accommodate various sitting positions
- DURABLE: Inner surface of water-resistant, breathable 70D coated ripstop nylon is more durable and sealed from sand and dirt. Carbon-fiber stays, reinforced wing connections, and tight-knit nylon webbing for superior durability, holds up to 250 lbs.
Purchasing any kind of hiking gear can feel overwhelming. Such purchases are usually surrounded by a whole lot of jargon – and, they don’t tend to come cheap!
Hiking chairs are definitely not an exception to this rule. It can be very hard to tell whether a particular hiking chair will work for you and your adventures, especially if you’re new to the wonderful world of hiking.
That’s why we’ve created a handy buyers’ guide. It consists of everything you need to know so that you can make the most informed purchase possible. Check it out below.
Types Of Hiking Chairs
First of all, it’s important that you’re aware of all of the different types of hiking chairs so that you can choose the most appropriate one for you. Take a look at the most common types of hiking chairs below.
Foldable hiking chairs are one of the most common types of hiking chairs. They tend to have a traditional chair shape that will work to support your back and legs, allowing you to rest and relax after a tricky incline.
They tend to fold up quite small, so they are great options if you don’t have a huge amount of room in your backpack. However, you will need to take the time to assemble the chair by stretching the fabric over the roles when you want to use it.
Rollable hiking chairs are generally used by people who may be hiking for long periods of time. On long hikes, you need as much room as possible in your backpack for essential supplies. You also don’t want to fill your backpack too much, because it will tire you.
In these situations, rollable hiking chairs are ideal. They don’t consist of any legs but are simply a supportive seat that you place on the floor.
They will support your back at a 90-degree angle, but they aren’t built for comfort.
Rather, rollable chairs are incredibly lightweight and portable. To pack them away, you need to just roll them up and attach them to your bag. They are also very easy and quick to use, so are ideal if you enjoy a quick rest when hiking.
Stools are also a very portable and lightweight option. They tend to fold up more easily and conveniently than standard foldable hiking chairs. They also don’t take up as much room in your backpack. However, they don’t offer any back support, so they aren’t great for comfort.
These are a compromise between rollable chairs and foldable chairs. They tend to come in the form of foldable chairs, but they have been created to be as portable as possible.
They will boast fewer features than traditional folding chairs, but they still provide a good level of comfort and great portability.
Things To Consider When Buying A Hiking Chair
Now that we’ve got all of the basics out of the way, we can get into the good stuff. Below, we’ve listed the most important things to consider when buying a hiking chair, so that you purchase the perfect chair the first time. Take a look.
This is arguably the most important thing you need to consider when buying a hiking chair. You will need to make sure that you can carry your chair as easily as possible. It’s also important that your chair is compact enough so that it doesn’t take up too much space.
If you’re planning a serious hike, we recommend that you take a rollable hiking chair. Whilst you won’t be as comfortable, this type of chair will still provide you with ample back support, and most importantly, it won’t take up valuable space or weigh you down as you explore.
However, if you’re more of a relaxed hiker who enjoys taking breaks and soaking up the views, then you may find a foldable chair more well-suited to your needs. However, this type of chair will be hard to carry for long distances.
Comfort is important. The last thing you want is to get to your destination, only to find that the chair you’ve been carrying for miles offers no comfort at all. A good hiking chair will provide support, have some padding, and be made of breathable material.
Support is particularly important if you struggle with any pain in your back or legs. If this is the case, we recommend opting for a hiking chair that is ergonomic. Chairs with a headrest and armrests will also be beneficial.
If you’re planning on hiking somewhere that is particularly warm, you should keep an eye out for a hiking chair that is made using breathable material. Such chairs will ensure that you are kept dry and at a comfortable temperature as you relax after a hard hike.
It is important to note that, when it comes to hiking chairs, you need to find one that strikes a balance between portability and comfort. Whilst some chairs will provide you with a luxury sense of relaxation, these chairs will probably be an absolute nightmare to carry.
Finally, there are a number of features to keep in mind when you’re looking for the perfect hiking chair. For instance, some hiking chairs come equipped with:
- A cup holder.
- A headrest.
- A footrest.
- A side table.
- Pockets and storage.
- Replaceable feet (to adapt to different surfaces).
Generally speaking, we find chairs with extra pockets and storage space to be particularly helpful when hiking. Water resistance is also an excellent feature, especially if you enjoy hiking in all kinds of weather conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’ve still got some queries and questions regarding hiking chairs, we’re here to help! Take a look at our answers to the most frequently asked questions below. You’ll be ready to get out there and explore in no time.
Are Backpacking Chairs Worth The Weight?
In our opinion, yes! Backpacking chairs provide you with comfort and support which is much-needed after a long day of exploring the wilderness. They also ensure that you stay off the ground when you rest, which prevents you from getting dirty or damp.
How Strong Are Camping And Hiking Chairs?
Different hiking chairs will have different maximum capacities. As such, it is always important that you check a chair’s maximum capacity before purchasing it to ensure that it will work for your body.
However, generally speaking, heavy-duty camping chairs can hold somewhere between 300 to 800 pounds. More lightweight and compact camping chairs may have a lighter weight capacity.
Why Are Camping Chairs Uncomfortable?
Unfortunately, not all camping chairs will provide comfort and support. In fact, camping chairs have a reputation for being very uncomfortable. This is because cheap or low-quality chairs don’t distribute the user’s weight for optimal comfort.
Rather, on a low-quality camping chair, it is likely that the majority of your weight will be placed on the back of your thighs. This can get uncomfortable very quickly. That’s why we recommend purchasing a high-quality chair – your body will thank you!
What Is A Hiking Pad?
If you’re new to backpacking, you might have heard the term ‘hiking pad’ and wondered what on earth one is. Well, a hiking pad is a lightweight mat that hikers, campers, backpackers, and budget travelers often sleep on.
Hiking pads (also called ground pads, sleeping pads, thermal pads, sleeping mats, and roll mats) provide some padding and thermal protection from the cool ground. They are generally used with a sleeping bag.